Recently a friend served these fragrant olives and other appetizers before dinner. Olive oil, herbs, and seasonings combined to give these olives a decadent punch of flavour. The dinner was great, but I would have been happy to eat these olives and bread all night!
The olives pair nicely with a variety of cheeses, charcuterie and other simple appetizers like roasted sweet peppers or tomato salad. It’s a simple, quick and delicious recipe that can be made ahead and reheated before guests arrive. Just don’t tell them it was so easy to make 😉
You can increase the olive oil used in this recipe and serve with a few pieces of crusty bread that you can dip in the fragrant olive oil.
*Carla’s tip*: For a boost of flavour and colour use a wide variety of olives, found at your local grocery store.
Warm Olives Appetizer
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 to 4 twigs of rosemary, loosely broken up
- 3 to 4 twigs of thyme, loosely chopped
- Peel from one orange
- Peel from one lemon
- 3 cups (750 mL) variety of olives
- 2 to 3 chopped hot peppers
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) each of orange and lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) each chopped rosemary and thyme
- In a skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the garlic for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the garlic begins to turn golden brown.
- Add the rosemary, thyme, orange and lemon peel, continuing to cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until flavours are well combined.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add olives, stirring to distribute the flavourings with the olives. Return the pan to the stove and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until olives are warmed through.
- If you have time, cover the olives and set aside until ready to serve.
- Just before serving (heat olives if they have cooled) place olives in a serving dish and garnish with orange and lemon zest and chopped rosemary and thyme.